About the Stop (original version)
Welcome to the Stop, a website by Marco Fioretti, author, teacher and a few other things. The sidebar on this website includes more news about my courses and other projects.
The Stop hosts, in the four sections explained below, information and writings directly related to my work, including online versions of some of my publications. Some pieces about trekking and backpacking are at Strider, and anything else that I feel useful to share stays in my other “Tips” blog.
This blog is called “the Stop” because, as the logo tries to convey, its goal is to help **everybody **to stop for a moment to meet some things that matter, think about them, refill their brain with ideas and then act accordingly, both online and offline. The next section of this page explains, among other things, how and why to support the Stop, and my work in general.
- Analyzing information, presenting it in the simplest possible form and generally maintaining a useful website** takes a lot (really a LOT) of time**. You can support this effort, and my other activities in several ways, including donations. Thanks!
- You can contact me by commenting the articles on this website or via email
- There is also an italian version of the Stop
A Stop for everybody
The Stop is divided in four, partly independent areas:
- Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how software and digital technologies are used around you: they can restrict or increase access to culture, education, healthcare, business opportunities, public administration and services of every kind. Understanding how this happens is both absolutely necessary and much, much easier than you’d think. Just read DigiWorld.
- Active Citizens
- Access to the right information is pointless if you don’t actually use it to improve your life and neighborhood. Normal people worldwide are already doing a lot to make their cities, Public Administrations and politics much more open and transparent than they always were. Here you’ll read what they’re doing and how to become one of them.
- “Education” is a terribly important but vague word, which can mean everything from good manners to schooling and school systems to professional training. This section of the Stop will present often unknown but innovative teachers, schools and parents, as well as techniques and tools that all parents would like to see adopted in their children schools.
- Energy, food, waste, housing, healthcare, transportation, wildlife: all things essential for the quality of your own life and for the whole world we live in. Do you know how they’re managed, and how to do something for them without turning your life upside down?
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Post-lockdown Italy is a soccer match begging for live audience
- #Italylockdown is over. Lack of meaning continues
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...