When Open Data meets Show and Tell
(this is a proposal for a talk and related workshop that I submitted for a conference that took place in autumn 2013. The proposal was accepted but eventually didn’t happen due to lack of funding for travel expenses. Since the idea is not tied to that specific event in any way, here it is)
Young people have always been critical of politics and public institutions in general. This, of course, is absolutely natural and even necessary, to a degree.
Today, however, more and more young people don’t see anymore politics and public administrations simply as awkwards dinosaurs, made excessively complex just for complexity’s sake. These (lost) citizens seem to have already concluded that no form of change, participation or dialogue with “institutions” could ever be remotely interesting or relevant for their lives and future, even if it were just to find a job. This is a terrible waste of energies for society.
The talk suggests one part of the solution to this problem: promote the systematic use and production of Open Data in High Schools.
how using and producing Open Data in class may help to mitigate anti-government sentiment and image among young people, showing them that government can’t really be as simple as they sometime imagine
how to make students understand (and, when possible, take part into) policy development, through social media and other channels
how all this is possible in traditional school activities, that is without turning existing curricula and teaching practices upside down
how to involve teachers very gradually, on a voluntary basis, without relying on large scale, expensive programs
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...