Full self-driving cars may never happen???
Gee, color me surprised. Not.
… considering WHO said it, this time.
I am (to put it mildly) very skeptical about self driving cars as advertised today. Today, I’m happy because I found someone who confirms my opinion, and is not your average Luddite. Far from that. The person who “recently admitted that Level 5 autonomy might actually never happen” is the CEO of Volkswagen’s autonomous driving division
“Level 5 autonomy” is, as explained in this other comment to that statement, means “full computer control, with zero limitations”, of a car that might (should) not even have steering wheel and pedals anymore.
Maybe the problem is the LANGUAGE
Part of the reason (possibly a big one) of why society as a whole, and more than a few investors, have been fooled by self driving cars so far may be the way those “autonomy levels” are defined. This point is discussed in detail here, and its conclusion are that:
- The root of all confusion is automation levels defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), which have become the global standard for defining self-driving
- [Because] those levels, “do not reduce confusion, they increase it”, and this is why “no car maker wants to define their cars by SAE levels”
For example, SAE Level 3 would mean “Self-driving, but with a human available to take over if needed.” But, says the article, “How can a Level 3 car be self-driving if a human must be available to take over if needed?” Which is, by the way, exactly the point I made at least one year ago: regardless of price, what is the point of cars that drive themselves… But only if you drive them too???
There is only one solution…
“and that’s to toss the SAE language and start from scratch”. Period.
Image source: “Do Self-Driving Cars SUCK?”
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- A certain dataset of objects is still online...
- decentralized twitter easier to govern?
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...