The bright, planetary next billion of Facebook users
Frederic Filloux argues that Facebook’ future is “bright and planetary” because:
- Forget what Zuckerberg said about privacy, data ownership and AI censorship leading to Newspeak. For the moment, “nearly all Facebook’s advertising clients say they’ll stay onboard”, and some argue that Facebook may survive without Western advertising money anyway.
- Facebook is likely to get one more billion users, even if monthly active users are no longer growing in Western markets, because:
- in Asia, the user growth rate is spectacular: over the last two years, each time Facebook added one user in North America, it added six users in the Asia Pacific region and four in the Rest-of-the-World (ROW) regions.
- besides, in many of those areas (especially Sub-Saharan Africa):
- population is growing fast, and the percentage of people connected to the Internet is growing even faster, with Facebook projects like internet.org deployed exactly to hook up those people
- Facebook already is the only internet most of those people know about anyway
- little or no regulation may leave Facebook free to lock up those markets, but also to control new payment systems,or distribution of information over mobile phones (“and perhaps news production too”)
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- The BEST part of "No YouTube for not commercially viable YOU"
- It should be completely illegal to sell stuff NOT like this
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...