Of high-tech companies, and fablab potential in Trivandrum
High-tech, dynamic, companies…
I had a great time with all those people. Personally, what I liked best in each company was:
- Livares: their use of Free/Open Source Software to get a “distinct competitive advantage over many of their competitors”
- Tachlog: how they are using Open Hardware in irrigation and other embedded systems applications
- TiltLabs: their Mobile Games and Virtual/Augmented Reality projects
but they all do much more, as you can see by yourself on their websites.
and a Fablab with a great potential
Before leaving Trivandrum, I walked by pure chance into the office of FabLab Kerala, inside the Trivandrum Technopark. After all my work in the Digital DIY project, I couldn’t I miss such an occasion to have an idea of the current “Maker’s landscape” in Kerala.
The Fablab works on too many great things to report them all here, so let me just focus on a couple of things. One is the support they provide, on demand, to local hospitals:
That picture (higher resolution version here) shows an actual size 3D-printed model, made straight out of a tomography, of the real skull of some child affected by some serious bone cancer. By looking at that model, surgeons were able to prepare, before operating, and without any guesswork or hurry, a much better prothesis than what they could have done otherwise.
During my visit, I also learned that the machines of that FabLab, all available for booking, are not utilised as much as they could.
Put together this fact with the picture of that skull model, and what do we get? A confirmation of the question I asked a few weeks ago: wouldn’t it be great if fablabs, in India or anywhere else, were helped to use ALL their spare capacity to produce what poor or sick people need?
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Post-lockdown Italy is a soccer match begging for live audience
- #Italylockdown is over. Lack of meaning continues
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...