If you were worried about Russia hacking elections...
… just stop one moment to appreciate this article, and realize what its real title may (or should?) be:
because “Data about exercise routes shared online by soldiers can be used to pinpoint overseas facilities”.
Here is an alternative, equally valid title for that article:
“All centralized social networks can be very big security leaks”
“Fitness tracking app shows how easy it would be, for any foreign power, to corrupt just one person in ANY big social network, in order to have real time location data of military personnel”.
That problem is the result of human nature combined with centralized digital platforms. Fixing human nature (assuming it were right, of course) is almost impossible. Fixing centralized platforms is much easier, but only in comparison! The real solution is making centralized platforms unneeded.
Some decades ago, DARPA contributed to develop the bases of the Internet, and did it also for military reasons. Maybe it’s time that, for the same reasons, they seriously sponsor really personal clouds instead. Even if such a support would not make their NSA cousins really happy.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...