Facebook and Google forcing countries to trust them
Please have a look at this scary title, just appeared on the Web:
If you really believe that it says “Facebook is sharing its data with Google as the search giant reviews potential Russian meddling in the 2016 election”… please read again.
What is really written in the title of that piece is:
“Verification that democracy works as advertised is now officially delegated to corporations that nobody elected, but may basically declare whatever THEY want about the data THEY hold. Governments, Open Government, Open Data… don’t really matter anymore”.
This should really worry you. Even if Facebook were not as easy as it is to “be weaponized to spread misinformation and fraudulent content”. And even if voting weren’t already so ridiculously hard in the USA, or so snobbed in many “first world” countries.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...