Facebook and Google forcing countries to trust them
Please have a look at this scary title, just appeared on the Web:
If you really believe that it says “Facebook is sharing its data with Google as the search giant reviews potential Russian meddling in the 2016 election”… please read again.
What is really written in the title of that piece is:
“Verification that democracy works as advertised is now officially delegated to corporations that nobody elected, but may basically declare whatever THEY want about the data THEY hold. Governments, Open Government, Open Data… don’t really matter anymore”.
This should really worry you. Even if Facebook were not as easy as it is to “be weaponized to spread misinformation and fraudulent content”. And even if voting weren’t already so ridiculously hard in the USA, or so snobbed in many “first world” countries.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- The problem with AI? Sometimes is humans. Human PARENTS, that is
- What may make Warren's "break up Facebook" proposal USELESS
- Two surely unrelated primacies the USA can be proud of
- First World Luxury Problems
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- DNS glossary and tricks
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...