What do USA special forces and Mexican drug lords have in common?
Apparently, they both don’t know enough of how the Internet and digital (meta) data work.
From the Independent:
Jesus Alfredo Guzman Salazar tweeted a photo of himself and his [Mexican drug lord] father eating at a restaurant, but seemed to forget about Twitter’s location function which automatically tags where an image is taken.
The US military is not learning its lessons: top-secret operations’ flights may be regularly tracked through online airspace monitoring resources by literally anyone. One doesn’t even need a laptop – a mobile app is sufficient to find out where the American military machine is going to strike next.
And what you must remember is…
Take home lesson: no matter who you are, the sooner you learn what digital data and metadata leak around and about you, the better.
(image source: reduced resolution mix of images in the two articles above)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...