The power of Big Data and the failures of online advertising
Data is the new oil. Big data is poised to transform society. Soon everybody from individuals to government will be measuring and optimizing everything possible. In the meantime, though, lots of things may go wrong. There is an article out there on this very topic. It says that “nothing underscores the consequences of data analysis gone awry more than the story of Robert McNamara”. Maybe. As far as I’m concerned instead, nothing screams “data analysis gone awry” like the banner I found in that article and the point where it was placed:
Big Data or Big Awkwardness?
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- What if we just outlawed INSTANTNESS in social networks?
- Thoughts on energy (3 of 3): The political impacts of renewables or nuclear
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Two surely unrelated primacies the USA can be proud of
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- DNS glossary and tricks
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...