BuckyBox: food delivery as it should be?
Here is a venture that you should probably support. Or reuse.
I only discovered now Bucky Box, whose purpose is to “make it easy to run a successful local food delivery business”. This is how they present themselves:
“Since 2012 Bucky Box has powered all manner of local food deliveries including vegetable box schemes, artisan breadmakers, community supported agriculture farming, food co-operatives, and recipe bag subscriptions.”
And here are the main reason why I like their proposal, from least to most important:
- flexibility: see the “all manner of local food delivery” above. This is hugely important, least all the world becomes some half-baked copy of US peripheries, that sooner or later becomes culturally, economically or environmentally unsustainable
- (since 2015) the software is open source: this should make it easy to keep the service and network up and running if, for whatever reason, the current Buckybox company disappears
Unfortunately, I also discovered that Bucky Box went in reduced service mode in July 2018, and even that reduced service may stop at the end of 2020. From what I can read on their website, Bucky Box seems a well thought match, and a necessary one, between digital tech and community supported agriculture. It is not the only service of this type around, of course, but again their approach seems one that is actually needed. So, please consider using Bucky Box! Or at least, since it is open source, have a look at it, and keep it in mind if you ever want to start the same or a similar service some day. Waste is always bad, be it of food or software!
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- COVID19 in Italy, or making things as simple as possible
- One month of COVID19, two weeks of lockdown
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...