The continuing, appalling idiocy of "modern", "smart" phones
…is something we all know, but do not fight enough.
Yesterday morning, I suffered that little annoying experience already happened to many million smartphone users, and will happen to many more millions: I got distracted, and my smartphone ended up in the kitchen sink, under running water, for a few seconds. I did everything recommended in these cases (open the phone, extract the battery, make everything dry etc..). The day after, the phone is still dead, and it seems very likely that at least the battery should be replaced. And this intrinsically little annoyance made me just remember that little, monumental idiocy we all know, but still love to forget:
No standard smartphone batteries yet. In 2019
Almost ten YEARS ago I was happy because the world had finally started to overcome the galactic embarrassment of non-standard phone CHARGERS:
Ten years later, we have not learned that lesson yet.
Time for REAL innovation
Forget foldable screens. Forget wireless charging. Forget in-screen fingerprint scanners. Forget flash-less night pictures. Forget all that other crap that passes for smartphone innovation these days.
The world is already suffocating under mountains of plastics. Marketers and investors worldwide are selling, with little or no dispute, their wet dreams to cover those mountains with even bigger piles of e-waste. Including incompatible smartphone batteries.
We need smartphones. No question about that. But we need REALLY SMART phones. We need real innovation. Like immediate adoption of ONE standard set of sizes for smartphone batteries. First, because it is not science-fiction: it is just the logical extension of what we already have:
Second, because it is absolutely idiotic to not do it, in a world where both people living paycheck to paycheck and e-waste continue to increase.
Next time someone starts blabbing of foldable screens and similar crap, interrupt them immediately, shout “WHAT WE NEED IS STANDARD BATTERIES” in their face, and then just walk away.
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- Expanding horizons in Lesotho
- Open Letter to EU on Open Banking
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...