If you want REALLY clean solar energy, you need Open Source lawn mowers
Yes, we do. Because “clean energy” from photovoltaic installation may pollute a lot without them.
I had never thought of it, but I just learned, thanks to a tweet by @Santi_MBarajas, that:
“In many photovoltaic solar installations, herbicides are massively used to prevent the growth of vegetation, which produces a great environmental impact, due to the contamination of soil and water. It is a practice that should be prohibited, replaced by brush cutters.”
“Clean” energy via herbicides? Not so clean. Or smart.
It seems to that, if we want really clean energy from photovoltaic installations, we badly need (*), in order to keep costs and maintenance burdens down, a massive deployment of “gardeners” like this:
that is: robotic lawn mowers that can keep the fields as clean as possible by themselves, and are also able to figure out, and report, where and when a human-driven brush cutter is actually needed.
Why Open Hardware? Because it is the best, if not the only way to keep those lawn mowers as cheap as possible, but also that everybody can service and adapt them to local conditions, without artificial limitations. Really clean renewable energy is too important to leave it to business models that can cause this kind of problems.
(*) besides proper disposals of the panels themselves when they reach end of life, of course!
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- Why We Should Stop Fetishizing Big Tech
- We DO need a worldwide Amazon service. We just need somebody else to run it
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Two surely unrelated primacies the USA can be proud of
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- DNS glossary and tricks
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...