The Internet of Things Is Coming. Inside Us. But not like you think.
John Vidal says that the plastics crisis is more urgent than you know, because plastic is “in our food, our clothes - and in us”. But it may be even worst than he says
Vidal’s article reports how:
- initiatives like plastic bottles return schemes are “no more use than a heavy smoker forgoing a single cigarette”
- “scientists, doctors and others.. agreed unanimously that plastic is now in what we eat, drink and breathe”
- “The more researchers look, the more plastic they find in the human body.”
- “there are great gaps in what we know about how microplastics affect human health, we need more robust science”
- meanwhile, “Plastic production has to be reduced” but, according to current estimates, “it is set to treble again by 2050”
Not good, huh? But from a “digital” point of view, that article may be even more worrying than it seems at first sight. The reason is that I am not sure if that that “treble by 2050” includes the billions of many more new objects that would constitute the coming “Internet of Things”
“Without connection, our smart world of Internet of Things becomes plastic… All just useless plastic but futuristic looking objects.”
and there are still are plenty of proposals as dumb as Smart dust: coming soon to a lung near you around.
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- Venezuela and Bolivia: do they make a clue, or already a pattern?
- "Year of Linux desktop" still misses crucial issue
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...