Ford just patented a hijacking system
Ford has applied for a patent that would let criminals attach themselves to your vehicle and hijack you and your kids wherever they want.
No, just kidding. Relax! This is what the article really says:
“Ford has applied for a patent that would have a drone attach itself to your vehicle and act as a surrogate sensor if one of your car’s sensors failed… [if] vehicle registers a sensor fault, it calls… one of these drones, which then finds [your vehicle, lands on it], and acts as a replacement sensor while it directs your vehicle to a nearby repair center…“.
See? Nothing to worry about. What Ford applied for may simply help crackers to not just block your car remotely but also to drive it where they want. With you inside of course.
In general, there are several concrete reasons to apply for absurd patents. And of course, the more connected a driverless car is, the easiest is to hijack it period, passengers and all. There is no real need to rely on drones for that. That’s not the issue. I just find a bit… surprising that certain ideas are labeled super clever workarounds, without mentioning at all the security issues. Or the even more obvious fact that they may reduce, but certainly not eliminate the need for towing trucks: no drone can drive you home is the problem is not a sensor, but a flat tyre or any other “non-sensor” issue.
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- EU and China must help the world to do the RIGHT thing
- Don't break up Big Tech? Of course
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...