The Blackrock letter, in one sentence...
The founder of a huge investment fund just made a very important announcement, and my instintive reaction was…
Mr. Fink, founder and chief executive of the BlackRock firm, which manages more than $6 trillion in investments worldwide, writes that
“Society is demanding that companies, both public and private, serve a social purpose…To prosper over time, every company must not only deliver financial performance, but also show how it makes a positive contribution to society.” Basically, Mr Fink is saying that Blackrock will invest preferably in companies that behave responsibly.
Timeo Blackrock et dona ferentes…
My instinctive, gut-level translation of the statements above is
“we of Blackrock want to control and redefine the meaning of “social purpose” and “positive contribution to society”, to make sure that they don’t evolve against our core interests”.
Mr. Fink’s declaration that he is seeing
“many governments failing to prepare for the future, on issues ranging from retirement and infrastructure to automation and worker retraining [and] As a result, society increasingly is turning to the private sector and asking that companies respond to broader societal challenges”
makes little to reassure me. In a sense, this is the same “hold my beer while I save the world” attitude we’ve seeing in Silicon Valley for years now. At the same time, it may be dangerous to snob this plan entirely, instead of trying to steer at least some tiny part of it towards a version of Common Good that doesn’t rely exclusively on “companies and private sector”. Therefore, I hereby suggest as inputs to define “positive contributions to society”:
In any case, it will be interesting to see how this Blackrock master plan evolves.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- The Matrix will start in in 2025
- Thanks Zendaya for doing the right thing on the Web
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Two surely unrelated primacies the USA can be proud of
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- DNS glossary and tricks
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...