Gmail Buddy, aka "The Internet of Things we do NOT need"
an Internet of Things that we definitely don’t need
there is a project, over at Seeed, that is a good example of a really (too) large category of projects that I really do not get. At least, I don’t get why they should have anything like “smart” or “smarter” in their name. I’m talking of
“Gmail Buddy - Smarter Email Notifications”:”Gmail Buddy is companion device which checks your Gmail inbox every 15 secs and notify you using sweet elegant light [and] can also be used as a sweet night light!
I honestly find the Gmail buddy a waste of material that doesn’t make any sense. A (night!) light that blinks when email comes? Sounds much more a nightmare than anything smart to me. “Internet of Things” does have some substance as a vision. But the really smart home is the one where you can really, totally, easily unplug whenever you want, and that runs on as little electronics as possible, especially the connected ones.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...