Rogue Engineers Behind Volkswagen Scandal? So what?
Some recent declarations from VW executives about the Volkswagen scandal are half unbelievable, half totally irrelevant. Seriously.
“This was not a corporate decision,” [Michael Horn, CEO of Volkswagen America] later added. “There was no board meeting that approved this.”
Duh. Really? How unexpected! Who would have thought? All laws, ethics and morals aside…, if I had shares in any company whose board members were so idiot to discuss something like this in an official meeting, maybe even leaving a written record, I’d either fire them on the spot, or get rid of my shares as quickly as I could. Never mind though. The real “news” is elsewhere:
“auto industry insiders say it’s not inconceivable that senior management could have been ignorant of the details of the cheating… [Horn] said the so-called “defeat device” was the work of “a couple of software engineers who put this in for whatever reason”
Even if every word in the above quote is 100% true, and that is how things actually went, it doesn’t matter. The point, which others before me already made very well, is one and one alone: DRM and DMCA as they are today are dangerous, and if that software in Volskswagen cars had been Free, Open Source Software, the whole thing would have never happened.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...