final bits from fOSSa 2015, from Open Education to Ecology
fOSSa 2015 was such a great conference that I and Wouter Tebbens already wrote four other posts about it (see below). Here are the last bits that are worth sharing but did not fit elsewhere.
What Mitja Jermol and his colleagues are doing in Slovenia is REALLY interesting, go check it out. Seriously. I can only add that they seem in a great position to, in addition to what they are already doing, _also _bring Open Data in/from schools, as I suggested here a while ago. Other valuable bits about Open Education from Mitja and others, each of which may be a separate talk topic in its own right, are:
Mitja: Open Educational Resources = _“Mass content, missing mass use” _
[a big problem of _current _Open Education is that it] “excludes people who don’t know how to self learn”
Commercial interests are using the term “open” for marketing
“Open” was hijacked by Silicon Valley
We need to “scale openness to the mainstream society”
Terribly interesting topic. Was the panel good? Not sure, because the first speaker was great, but after him everybody else switched to French… Anyway, what I could hear, or read from the slides was enough to make me **love **some quotes, and wish to know more. Again from my notes:
ecological transition knows where to go, not how. Geeks know how, but have no purpose
Open is not automatically green
what can Open Source bring to ecology? “Open Source can provide a narrative”
There are upper and lower planetary boundaries to consider, aka Doughnut Economics: “decoupling is on one end of the doughnut, degrowth on the bottom”
Other posts about fOSSa 2015…
…by me or Wouter, in more or less random order:
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...