Thanks NSA for your great help. No, seriously!
Sometimes support comes in the most unexpected ways. Today the NSA, the super-secret spy agency that intercepts countless digital communications worldwide, greatly helped me, by providing evidence that a little project of mine is a really great idea that is sorely needed NOW.
Thanks NSA. I mean it. And the reason is that (full story here):
the NSA is gathering contact lists in large numbers that amount to a sizable fraction of the world’s e-mail and instant messaging accounts. Analysis of that data enables the agency to search for hidden connections and to map relationships within a much smaller universe of foreign intelligence targets.
During a single day last year, the NSA’s Special Source Operations branch collected 444,743 e-mail address books from Yahoo, 105,068 from Hotmail, 82,857 from Facebook, 33,697 from Gmail and 22,881 from unspecified other providers, according to an internal NSA PowerPoint presentation. Those figures, described as a typical daily intake in the document, correspond to a rate of more than 250 million a year.
See what I mean? I really couldn’t have made up better stuff than this to prove that my proposal for a personal alternative to Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Facebook & C is a good idea that is needed now. That kind of large scale, automatic address harvesting would be impossible if those people used individual perclouds to read and write email, chat and so on. In order to achieve the same effect NSA, or everybody else, would have to visit and crack millions of individual small servers instead of telling a handful of private (mostly USA-based) private companies “hand over those address books, or else…”
The percloud is made to order to fight this kind of problems. Above all, it is much more focused, that is feasible in shorter times, than other valuable, but much more ambitious projects in the same space (to know more, check the percloud FAQ and/or my previous percloud posts. NSA was so kind to show you of one of the real world problems that the percloud could solve soon. This, however, will only happen if you support it soon. Any Euro is valuable. Your call now.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...