Google Reader quits? That's wonderful, because...
These days half the Internet is upset because Google Reader is about to quit. I am not. I am really happy about these news, because this is a wonderful occasion for everybody to consider again something that I have been suggesting for a while now.
I couldn’t care less about the end of Google Reader for the same reason why I would have no problem at all if services like Gmail, Del.icio.us, Blogspot etc… closed tomorrow. Because I do the same things with open alternatives that:
have been around for years
do not need any central service provider (aka “single point of failure”)
can run on any home computer or on any hosting account, maybe even free ones
I could move in any moment to any other hosting provider, without any service interruption, if the original one went out of business or blocked my account for any reason
Alternatives to Google, Facebook and friends already exist. They must only be integrated as I explained here to become really usable by everybody.
What’s happening with Google Reader proves, assuming it was still needed, that maybe it’s time to spend a bit less resources to explain and fund startups that may “become the next Google”. Maybe it’s time to fund somebody, even if it were just some really out-of-fashion Software Faculty of some public University, to minimize our current and future dependence by any behemoth of that kind. See here for practical details.
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- The myth of passive social media users, and their war on absence
- WHO can AFFORD not to fly in 2020? People or companies?
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Two surely unrelated primacies the USA can be proud of
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- DNS glossary and tricks
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...