UBI seen backwards. For the millionth time
First things first, please.
CNN published an article about “robots are coming for your job, too”, andthe consequent need to accept the concept of a Universal Basic Income (UBI). In my opinion, that is one more articles that gets the problem backwards. Here are some quotes to explain what I mean (emphasis mine):
- “When you accept [that robots will take most jobs], then quickly you have to say OK, then, how are we going to start valuing our time?
- “Creating a population that can subsist on a basic income, without work, would end up reshaping how society works altogether”
- “For some, UBI represents an admission of failure - an assertion that most people will have nothing of economic value to contribute to society”
- “We will have to figure out how to be happy with the robots and the automation, because they are coming”
Reality, instead, is that:
- it is very, very, very hard to deny that on one hand, society needs a big reshaping anyway. On the other it is already happening, but not in the best way
- contributing to society? Sure. But the very concept that the only, or main/mandatory way to do it is with the kind of things that are considered of economic “value” today is… hard to describe with polite terms, sorry
- Ethics and meaning of work aside, UBI may be the most realistic solution to the PHYSICAL constraints we have to face today
Commenting system (still under test!!!)
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- Calicut: How and Why Open Hardware and Open Source can and should be used in non-western countries
- La Comunificadora is back with some new, challenging projects
- About Marco
- Venezuela and Bolivia: do they make a clue, or already a pattern?
- "Year of Linux desktop" still misses crucial issue
- Palm Oil Factoids of 2019, and its next battle
- NextCloud 16 review
- Geopolitical take-away of the week, from UK, Italy and China
- Four ways to take DNS services in your hand and WHY do it
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...