That TERRIBLE LibreOffice tip that never dies
It is the one you keep finding scattered all over the Web. Here is another case.
The LibreOffice writer tips by Make Tech Easier include this gem as FIRST tip:
“1. Change the Default Save Format to Word”, because:
“The ODT format that Writer saves documents in by default is a nice idea in principle… But the reality is it’s not perfect, and if you’re sending an .odt document to Microsoft Office users, then they may run into a few hiccups opening it. For that reason, I like my default save format to be the more universally-compatible Word (.doc) format.”
What is really universal here is not the “compatibility” of the .doc format, which isn’t assured among different versions of Microsoft Word. It is the passive, every year less tolerable acceptance of the flaws of Microsoft Office (more exactly, what is harder and harder to accept is not Microsoft’s behaviour, but the passiveness of its users). In 2018, setting the default format in any office suite to .doc, .docx and the likes is terrible advice for all the reasons already explained below. Do NOT fall into that trap. Please.
Three out of some million reasons to NEVER “change the default save format to Word”
You may also:
- Follow my courses on Free Software, Digital Rights and more
- Read my free ebooks and other publications
- Support this and my other works
- The "Death of Tumblr" is nothing but proof n. 99999....
- The Internet of Things? Yes, but ONLY if it is OPEN and ORGANIC
- Hugo: a GREAT website generator with a couple pieces missing
- Halloween in Italy: cultural appropriation, or imposition?
- The dark side of resurrecting species from extinction
- How to recover a post that is not even in Google's cache anymore
- Save forests, not tigers or wolves
- What if that shooting guy had been a Thru...